Saturday, August 29, 2009

Flight 1549 still emotional to.... up to this moment - true heroes-


How do you evacuate 155 people from an Airbus 320 sinking in just off the Manhattan shoreline? The crew of U.S. Airways Flight 1549 described how they were able to get every passenger back on dry land.




Unless they happen at a major airport, most commercial airline accidents generally occur without any "real time" video and/or photographic record of the event. However, the circumstance of Flight 1549's river ditching in a heavily populated metropolitan area during daylight hours was an exception, with video of the accident captured and recorded by multiple nearby closed circuit television surveillance camera systems as the accident occurred. That, along with the survival of all 155 passengers and crew, virtually uninjured made possible the relatively rapid production and broadcast of multiple television reports and documentaries containing both extensive real time video of the actual ditching and rescue, and extensive recorded first person accounts by the aircrew, passengers, rescuers, and other key participants.

As for me...it was still shocking to see the images again and to feel and live with the crew those moments, especially the Emotional Reunion. It may sound like a cliché but every incident that I see, I hear of, makes me review my drills, not before the flight, not in theory, but within myself, for me, for my wife and our families, for those who would miss us. It's not a burden, it is part of me, of what I do and I am still proud to be a flight attendant. My thought and prays go to everyone that in this very moment and moments to come are wearing the uniform and take thousands of lives in their hands. 

Thank you for doing what you're best at!

Smith out!

PS: Please don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter, as I will get back to you with nice updates.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is what being a pilot is about! "I WAS SURE I COULD DO IT"... man!! that's why he was able to do it... he didnt have any doubt about it.
Cap. Sullenberger is an example for Pilots

Kate said...

Katie - great interview! I hope you will post the remaining part of this story.

John Smith aka.crewundercover said...

you will find the rest of the story on YouTube. nice quality also